- 1 T. yeast
- 1 c. warm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 c. evaporated milk
- 1/3 c. sugar
- Herbs to taste (rosemary, thyme, etc)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 c. flour
- ¼ c oil
- 4 c. flour
- ½ lb. cold butter
- Activate yeast in warm water with 1 tsp. sugar; set aside.
- In a bowl combine the milk, 1/3 c. sugar, salt, egg, and 1 1/2 c. flour.
- Beat to a smooth batter with electric mixer; add yeast mixture and blend well.
- Add oil, stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, cut butter into 4 c. flour until the size of kidney beans (can use electric mixer).
- Pour yeast batter overall and blend until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (keeps in fridge up to 4 days).
- Knead a few times to remove air pockets and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Place 3 parts back in fridge.
- Roll out fourth into a 12 inch circle on lightly floured surface; cut 8 equal pie shapes (or can be
rolled out square and cut into 4 squares for most recipes involving crescent roll dough).
- Roll toward point and shape into crescents on ungreased baking sheets.
- Let rise 4 hours.
- Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown.
This makes the equivalent of four packages. From Marnie’s Kitchen Shortcuts.
Notes: Instead of evaporated milk you can use 3/4 c water combined with 2/3 c dry milk