Garden Thyme Salsa
- 16 lbs of tomatoes (approx. 40 to 50)
- 5 to 8 cup sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups hot peppers, or to taste, chopped (be sure to wear gloves and don’t touch your eyes!)
- 5 lg. cloves (not 5 heads, just the cloves) or to taste, minced
- 5 to 7 cups sweet onions, chopped
- 4 T. sugar if desired
- 2 Cups cider vinegar
- 4 T. fresh cilantro (or parsley) chopped
- 2 T. salt, to taste (Kosher canning, no iodine)
- 1 qt. tomato sauce (save back until filling jars)
- Combine ingredients in a large kettle, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir at least once. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the salsa into sterilized pint or quart jars, pack down and run a rubber spatula around the inside edge to eliminate any air bubbles. Add additional tomato sauce if desired.
- Seal and process in hot water bath 35 minutes for pints; 45 minutes for quarts – or – pressure canner 10 lbs. pressure for 10 minutes pints, 15 minutes quarts.
- This makes a lot!
©Garden Thyme Herbs 1994