- 2 to 3 whole vanilla beans
- 1 cup brandy or clear vodka
- Split vanilla beans and scrape the seeds into a pint-size clean glass jar or any other pretty jar you would like that can be sealed well.
- Cut vanilla beans into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the jar.
- Add brandy or vodka.
- Seal the lid tightly and let steep in a cool, dark place for one to two months.
- Remove vanilla beans and strain extract. Lovely!
Vanilla Extract Vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla, primarily from the Mexican species, flat-leaved vanilla (V. planifolia). They grow in pods. When you use the pods, open them up to expose the flavorful bean. It’s easy to make your own vanilla extract. Be sure to start making the extract about one to two months ahead if you want to give it for holiday gifts. (About 6 weeks) Have a great day!